Where did all the fun go?


See the source image

I often find myself unable to balance the great draws of creative expression. The fun and joy of creation, versus the need for feedback and acknowledgement.

Being creative should be something of a joyous experience, but when there is a pressure to achieve some abstract level of quality or create art that is recognisable in its form to its for-bearers, then the joy of expression becomes lost to the fear of rejection.

Comedy writing is an area I find particularly difficult. I love comedy, I love hearing an audience laugh, but I hate writing. Where the writing should be an extension of the art, and in comedy, the key creative process, it is the point where I often find myself being overly doubtful and self-critical. The writing ceases to be fun.

It is not to say that good art is only made by those enjoying themselves and smiling throughout the process. In fact, the contrary is most probably true. Good art is, however, a result of a process, and that process should be something that is beneficial to the creator, whether that be to create joy and pleasure or a more cathartic experience.

I suppose I’m trying to understand that old saying - “dance like nobody is watching.” I assume the idea being, enjoy the pleasure of dancing and not be distracted by the feedback loop it creates. But where dancing can be a beautiful form of expression, on a busy dance floor it is essential a private act performed in public. Comedy by comparison, is all about the public.

Comments