Read between the lines

See the source image

We all have moments where we find that words cannot describe the way we think or feel about a subject or situation. If we attempt to explain ourselves verbally, we can suffer from our own clumsy use of language. The medium of art can often be a more deliberate way to present an idea that is complex and abstract. Equally, art has a great ability to speak about subjects that might seem taboo or difficult to discuss in a real and frank way.

Subtext is a powerful tool, equally though, so is directness. Art which is aimed at being deep, before it knows the message it trying to deliver is always fundamentally flawed. Art is not about the artist’s intelligence or talent, art is about the art. I find that when I am writing, there is an urge to tell stories in as complex manner as possible, to prove that they are justified as being great examples of poetry, comedy or drama. But taking a step back and understanding the meaning, the message, the viewpoint that I am drawn to, I am more able to find a clearer direct route to link my thought to my meaning.

But not all art is birthed with the intention of subtext, even when it’s there. I often find myself questioning how the audience will interpret my art, the hidden meanings that they might find by accident. It is impossible to stop an audience reaching their own conclusions, particularly when the themes of a piece are more abstract. I think the greater personal concern, is that as an amateur artist, learning and developing, the audience which shares your art is one that is already pre-disposed to your own ideas and ways of thinking. This is incredibly unhelpful, as these people are bias towards one idea where your idea is something else entirely. Art should reflect what you know, not who you know.

Comments